A companion guidebook for paddlers who intend to canoe or kayak the 740-mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail in a single trip from Old Forge, New York to Fort Kent, Maine.
Written by Katina Daanen who through paddled the entire Trail in her canoe in 2011.
FOURTH EDITION. Updated in February 2022. The Northern Forest Canoe Trail Through-Paddler's Companion is the first (and only) comprehensive resource guiding paddlers from the first put-in to the last take-out on the 700-mile plus water trail. This fully updated guide is a must-have resource for aspiring Through-Paddlers or for any paddler looking for additional Northern Forest Canoe Trail details.The revised fourth edition includes better advice about remaining on more of the Trail's upstream segments, suggestions for paddling the least challenging section of the S. Branch Dead River, more accurate mileage data and added (or removed) campsites.
The “Companion” guidebook includes:
• 34 consecutive segment descriptions documenting the entire Trail including 160-plus miles of upstream paddling
• 25 illustrated maps highlighting challenging trail sections
• Details about every portage (or carry) with recommendations about how “wheelable” each may be
• Statistics about average paddle times
• Tips for planning daily mileage goals
• Lists of services found along the Trail
• A quick reference list of all the official NFCT portages
Paperback, 5.5" x 8.5", 255 pages, 4th edition 2022.